P.A. Day Tournaments
The Chess Institute of Canada (CIC) offers one-day P.A. Day tournaments for children from SK to Grade 8 of all skill levels, from beginners right through to the most advanced. Tournament days are determined by the dates of the Ontario-wide public school professional development days.
Children are divided into playing sections based on skill level, and the events are overseen by trained CIC instructors who make sure the day is engaging and fun. These tournaments are rated by the Chess Federation of Canada (CFC), and are a fun and productive alternative to simple day care.
For upcoming tournament dates, please check out our calendar of events, at right. Click on an event name to find out more about it.
Typically, our tournaments run for a full day and include a variety of exciting activities and bonus features, including:
- Individual, rated play (all games CFC rated)
- Team activities – five-person teams randomly chosen by computer, to help kids meet and socialize
- Healthy nut-free snacks all day, and where specified, a pizza lunch included in the price
- Fully supervised outside play after lunch (weather permitting)
- Logic-based chess riddles and other mind-bending challenges during breaks
- Trophies and ribbons
An awards ceremony at the end of the day gives every child the chance to have their accomplishments acknowledged by their peers.